Info. Repeat

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Physical Therapy Side of APS

In a previous post I mentioned how to treat APS. But for a refresher you have to do physical therapy, manage anxiety, and massage therapy/desensitization.

In Children's Mercy Hospital all across America doctors are helping kids become pain free! Here is a short video of a severe case of APS.


You can also check out stopchildhoodpain.org for more information about APS.

Now that is Matt's story, and every child's pain is unique; and so is their physical therapy treatment. For example I have pain in my head, neck, back, and hips. There were days I struggled to get out of bed, so I didn't. 

My therapy consists of constantly moving because if I sit still too long my body locks up on me. Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. I can't say it enough, if it hurts you're doing the right thing! (I know I sound completely insane! But it works for me and it worked for Matt!) 

I know how easy it would be to just give up and let the pain consume your life because I let APS control me at one time. Once I knew about APS and what I had to do to get better I never gave up. Sure, there were many days that I just wanted to stay in my bed because I was in so much pain. But I knew the only way I'd get better is to keep moving and the pain will go away.

I have said before APS doesn't go away completely, because the only way to be pain free is to keep exercising so you don't get stiff. I know it can be hard at times when life gets busy, but if I start to have pain I know what I have to do. And I hope anyone else who is struggling with APS has the strength to do it too.

That is part one of three to treat APS! Watch for my next two posts to learn how managing anxiety and massage therapy/desensitization are crucial to treating APS.


3 comments:

  1. My mom was a physical therapy major and worked in that field for a while so I have had some experience seeing how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Has your mom ever heard of APS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your attitude is inspirational for others who have pain issues like that.

    ReplyDelete