Info. Repeat

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Massage Therapy/Desensitization

Massage Therapy, as most of you probably know, is getting massages wherever you are currently in pain. But desensitization is rubbing, patting, tapping, etc. area(s) that are painful to retrain your nerves.

When I say retrain your nerves, I mean doing anything that causes you pain until it doesn't hurt anymore. Crazy? Yes, but by desensitizing yourself it tells your nerves that you shouldn't be in pain.

So there are all types of massages, the most effective way for me it just to get comfort out of it. I had a great masseuse, but then she had to move away. I ended up trying out a new one, but he tried to get EVERY single knot out in my neck/back. I was in tears and in worse pain than I was when I walked in the door.

Once you know which way helps you in the long run make sure to tell your masseuse, trust me it'll save you from a lot of pain. And that doesn't just go for people struggling with APS, I suggest talking to your masseuse so he/she knows what works for you.

Now, desensitization needs to be done at least one hour a day. The best thing to do is break it up into six 10 minute sessions. It might not be possible to always break it up into smaller times, but you have try your best.

Since I have pain in my head, neck, back, and hips I couldn't always reach the places I was in pain. I had my mom, dad, and friends help me out whenever they could because I couldn't do it all by myself.

But I was constantly rubbing the back of my head/neck in this position:
Credit to http://images.wisegeek.com/a-boy-covering-his-ears-and-neck.jpg

Although, when my APS resurfaces I go workout, reduce my stress if possible, and massage the heck out of the places I'm in pain.

APS is a crazy condition, but I am glad I finally know how to treat it and now so do you!

3 comments:

  1. Massage therapy seems like a good way to ease the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the massaging take all the pain away when you do it? How long does it last? What a horrible condition to have. Seems like you're doing a good job at dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete